Jesus spoke specifically regarding receiving the Holy Spirit, who would come to infill them and lead and guide them into all truth.
God does not change (Mal 3:6), what he did for one He will do for all who ask in faith.
But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive. (John 7:39)
And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. (Acts 2:4 )
But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; (Acts 1:8 )
The main obstacle to receiving the Holy Spirit, is your mind. When you receive Jesus into your heart, The Holy Spirit of God,. impacts your spirit, which is then born again.
However, your mind needs to be renewed to the word of God. The Holy Spirit wants to lead and guide you into the truth, the revelation of the Christ, the anointed one and his anointing.
The Holy Spirit wants to rise from your born again spirit and fill your soul with a new heavenly language, which is why your natural mind is the biggest obstacle to receiving.
The Holy Spirit will help you to receive, just let him lead and guide you right now.
1. Close your eyes and lift your head to Jesus. He died for you and rose again. He is coming soon, and He wants you to receive and be flooded with the Holy Spirit.
Begin to meditate (just let your mouth begin to speak praise to the Lord, make it simple, praise you Lord is good, say it over and over) on the Lord Jesus, love Him, worship and adore Him. Praise Him in your heart.
2. Ask God to fill you with His Spirit and to give you your prayer language. (Luke 11:9-13)
3. Now open your mouth wide. The Bible says, "Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it." (Ps. 81:10) That is what you want. You desire, to be filled with the Holy Spirit.
4. Now breath in and out-with your mouth open wide-as deeply as you can. Keep it up until you feel the presence of God. Didn't the Lord God form man of the dust of the ground, and breathe into his nostrils the breath or spirit of life? Let Him breathe upon you now. The Bible says, "He (Jesus) breathed on them and said to them, Receive (admit) the Holy Spirit!" John 20:22 (Amplified Bible)
5. Sometimes words that you do not understand will begin to come. Speak them out boldly, without hesitation. The Spirit will direct you. Have no fear. If no words come, continue to say your sentence of praise (saying praise the Lord, over and over (meditating) is good) the Holy Spirit is faithful. He will come and give utterance. Just do your part as you worship Jesus, and the Holy Spirit will do his. Trust in the Lord your God with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Your mind, often will try, many times, to stop you and to keep you from speaking in tongues after you have begun. The enemy also has a few lies that he tells over and over. He will tell you that you are making up these new words, that they are gibberish, that you have copied someone.
He will throw a few other lies at you. Don't listen to the devil, keep speaking in tongues. If you do not have any great feeling of joy or ecstasy as yet, don't be concerned. Don't look to your feelings. You will be endued with power from on high. As you continue day by day, speak as often as you can in tongues, the wisdom of God will rise within you and you will be filled with joy and peace.